Saturday, September 8, 2012

Journal, Day 7

It was quite an exhausting day!  I took over two classes for a teacher who was gone for the day, 6th and 8th grade.  By noon I was completely exhausted from constantly talking, scolding, and refocusing the class to the tasks at hand.  I think it went well though; despite the sprinkling of scoldings and the need to be sharp with one student in particular.  I felt like I was able to connect with the students and for the most part they got something out of the exchange.  Being in charge of a room full of young people can be quite intimidating.  It's hard to make sure they get the most out of their time there when there's so many of them and you're using someone's emergency activity.  In a perfect world I would have no more than five students.

Working with these students makes me think of my educational goals.  I plan on working with ESOL (English to Speakers of Other Languages) students.  I particularly enjoy working with international students at the college level.  ESL is where I've had most of my work experience.  It's truly a joy to me.  I do worry about being the best teacher I can be.  I have met so many amazing teachers who talk about activities that they've done in the classroom, and I think "why didn't I think of that?!"  My personality is very much the person who frets, the worrier.  I always worry about cheating my students of an amazing lesson.  Heaving a sigh...  Well, at least it could never be said that I didn't care about the students.  Perhaps that's half the battle.

The work day dragged, in a building that could do a hefty side business as a sauna in the summer, and (I've been told) sufficiently keep your ice cream and popsicles frozen in the winter.  Needless to say, I was relieved to drive away, windows down and breezes pouring in (except when I drive past the cow farms.  Enough said).

Then it was time for dinner with a dear friend whom I don't see nearly enough.  Our topics of conversation ranged the spectrum, and it felt good to talk with someone whose opinion I value and is easy to talk to.  In the world of texts and busy schedules, sometimes it's amazing how little we connect with one another.  Sometimes I miss the world of only-yet budding technology.

I ended the day trying to get some important reading done, but finding myself face down on my book several hours later.  Better luck to myself this weekend...

2 comments:

  1. "In a perfect world I would have no more than five students."

    Not quite enough IMO--8 or 9 is optimal in my experience. Enough to give some variety of student types and to give people a chance to get away from the teacher a bit, too many for it to get ingrown and cliquey or cultish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With nine you can give plenty of attention to everyone and really know your students, but with five you're over-teaching, not giving enough breathing space.

    ReplyDelete